Interlibrary loan (ILL) is based on the willingness of libraries to share and cooperate with each other. By receiving materials from another library, BHPL is agreeing to adhere to the policies of that library. BHPL is also assuming responsibility for the safekeeping and timely return of these materials. Any violations of this agreement may place at risk our future ability to borrow. Since every library’s first priority is to serve its own clientele, restrictions can be placed on which materials are eligible for ILL. New and popular titles will not be requested through ILL for six months, possibly longer depending on the popularity.
The ILL process begins with a patron request. BHPL staff enters the request into JerseyCat, an online catalog of N.J. public and academic libraries. Requests proceed through the system in a pre-determined queue until a lending library is located. If a request cannot be filled, the patron will be notified. The ILL process takes time. If staff is advised that the request is time-sensitive, other options, such as reciprocal borrowing, can be considered.
1. Patrons may have a maximum of five (5) interlibrary loans in process (requested, received and circulating) at any time.
2. Requests for interlibrary loans will be accepted only from patrons in good standing. All fines and overdue materials must be cleared before the request will be processed.
Any patron who has been referred to the collection agency for not returning an ILL will not be permitted to borrow through ILL for a period of six (6) months from the time the overdue and any charges are resolved. At the discretion of the Board of Trustees, further abuse of ILL could result in the loss of this privilege.
3. Interlibrary loan materials are subject to all restrictions, such as in-house use, placed upon them by the lending library.
4. Materials may/may not be renewed at the discretion of the lending library. Requests for renewal must be made before the item is overdue.
5. Interlibrary loans will be held at the Circulation Desk for 10 days. The patron will be notified, by either email or telephone, when the materials arrive and again after one week. Because the loan period begins when items leave the lending library, any delay in pick-up will shorten the remaining loan period.
6. Materials borrowed through Interlibrary Loan must be returned to BHPL.
7. Patrons will be responsible for all fees, fines, and service charges set by the lending library. This amount will be attached to the patron’s record even if the materials are not picked up. If materials are lost or damaged, the replacement costs will be established by the lending library. Payment is expected in a timely manner.
8. ILL is a library to library transaction. Patrons should not contact the lending library.
Adopted March 16, 1998, modified June 13, 2005; 10/2014